Need advice on whether to register for VAT?
Businesses below the VAT threshold can voluntarily apply to be “VAT registered”.
There are benefits to registering for VAT if you are just below the £85,000 threshold. One of those is the benefits of the “flat rate scheme” for VAT.
The “flat rate scheme” allows small businesses to charge the client the full VAT rate (currently 20%) yet only pay HMRC a percentage of that. This is to help smaller businesses with costs of administration.
If your business revenues are above the £85,000 threshold or you believe your revenues will hit the threshold within the next 30-days, you are obliged to register for VAT and you must comply with “Making Tax Digital” (MTD).
You have to register within 30 days of the end of the month when you went over the threshold.
You can apply for a registration ‘exception’ if your taxable turnover goes over the threshold temporarily.
If your revenue drops during the year and you fall below the threshold, at any point after 1 April 2019 you are still required to continue to keep digital records and send HMRC your VAT returns using MTD.
Hayvenhursts offer all potential clients a free consultation and VAT Healthcheck and are happy to offer free MTD and VAT appraisals and advice consultations.
For VAT registration we can assist with...
- Advising if you need to or if it would be beneficial to register
- Completion of the VAT registration forms and formalities
- Advising on the best VAT schemes to use suitable to your business - some you have to notify HMRC you are using and some you don't
In addition we can assist with...
- Completion of VAT Returns or training on how to complete them
- VAT planning
- Dealing with any contentious disputes that arise with Customs
- Attendance at VAT inspections
For advice, guidance and information on VAT registration or assistance in making VAT Returns or making tax digital feel free to contact your local Cardiff based experts.